Greenhorn to Greenland

I boarded a plane in Toronto in 30 degrees Celsius with a duffel bag full of wool sweaters, long underwear and rubber boots. Twelve hours later I arrived in Isafjordur on no sleep. The first impressions of Iceland were good. Sunshine and stunning scenery. I took a shuttle to the harbour and couldn't find Teddy at first. It was low tide and she was out of sight, but I spotted the two spruce masts poking up above the harbour wall. After introductions to Josh and Hue, I was immediately fed and watered, shown my berth and given a preliminary tour of the boat. Then it was off to the local brewery to sample the beer. Diego arrived shortly after that and we went out to do some fishing. Cod were in abundance and we were blessed... after Hue had gutted and filleted all the fish, Diego cooked us a delicious meal.
I hadn't slept since Friday but I just couldn't go to bed yet. The sky, the light and the scenery was amazing. My first glimpse of the midnight sun is something I will never forget.

I slept like a log.

The next day was a lazy day spent exploring and provisioning for the passage to Greenland. We sadly had to say goodbye to Hue as she is heading to Antarctica. She is great, and I was so glad I got to meet her. It was only a day and a half since I arrived, but it seemed like so much happened that it felt like a week.
We are now casting off for Kangerlussuaq, a three day passage from here. Josh has decided to stay on and join us. This will be my first offshore passage and I am confident it will be a doozie!
Learning how to light the temperamental stove 

They call me the codfather 

After midnight

Passage planning

Beer tasting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random moments captured by Hue